DID YOU KNOW ??
- Florence Nightingale had a pet owl called ‘Athena’- the owl died when Florence was undertaking preparations to go out to save dying soldiers in the hospital at Scutari.
- Florence Nightingale learnt Greek, Latin and mathematics at the age of ten from her father.
- 4th November 2004 marked the 150th anniversary of Florence Nightingales arrival at Scutari (Uskuder Turkey)
- When Florence Nightingale had whooping cough her 13 dolls had it too – they were found with pieces of flannel round their necks.
- She wrote her autobiography in French ‘Lavie de Florence Rossignel.’
- She invented and established the science of nursing.
- She improved sanitation and hygienic conditions
in the British army stationed in India.
- Kaiserworth Institute in Germany was considered by her as her spiritual home.
- She dreamt of forming a Protestant sisterhood of educated women who could become skillful nurses.
- Florence’s pet name was Flo.
- She developed the polar area diagram.
- She was the only woman to receive ‘The Order of Merit’ by the British Crown.
- She invented a diagram called ‘Coxcomb’- better known to – day as the ‘Pie Chart’.
- Florence had a beautiful singing voice and had a passion for opera.
- The Nightingale pledge was not written by Florence Nightingale but it was written in honor of Florence Nightingale by Ms Elizabeth Gretter.
- That she was the first practicing nurse
- She erected a 20 feet high marble cross – to the fallen soldiers on a mountain peak above Balaclava.
- She left Scutari in a French vessel for Marseilles under an assumed name (to avoid publicity).
Comments are closed.